Monday, October 1, 2007

touchdown, bangkok

touchdown. cab in from the airport, bangkok.

I arrive in Bangkok on a typically balmy morning, open my chest, and let the chaos in. Thailand's chaos is admittedly of mild variety, but a surrender is required nevertheless.

It begins at the cab stand, which in its sweetest-assault asian way, surrounds, harrasses and over-runs you.

Time explaining to cab driver where I was going: 13 minutes
Time wondering where he was taking me: 45 minutes

Then, a wild-woman reunion with Dejana, who's presence in my days now brings constant laughter and makes me feel like there is still so much ahead of me.

Then, swimming in Dee's pool in the rain... which becomes a bit of habit.

Dee lives, so appropriately, in a Gilligan's-Island-meets-Melrose-Place (seriously) tropical oasis, hidden away in the middle of this throbbing city. (Before I leave, I will submit a suggestion to the King that Bangkok be renamed BangBangBang.)

Over the coming days, I indulge in Dejana's spirited wonderfulness, discover and merge with her motley crew, and piece together the feelings and experiences that make up my dear friend's life, and that have so easily become lost to me as i circled the world in my own way, not always concentric with Dee's.

But now I'm here, and we have time.

I'm feeling grateful. And a little cheeky...

dee & me

basking in dee's care

No comments: